Digital Evidence Investigator PRO enables front line field investigators to quickly create a forensic backup of an Android device on-scene or back in the lab. In this short video, ADF Digital Forensic Specialist, Rich Frawley, will show you how to easily backup an Android device with DEI PRO.
Once you have your Android target device ready and know the passcode to unlock the device, place the device in airplane mode (if you haven't already done so).
- Go to settings
- Activate the developer mode (we do this by going to About Phone and tapping build 7 times)
- Now that you are a developer go to System and Developer
- Prevent auto-locking
- Activate the USB debugging mode
- Authorize the execution of apps from unknown sources
- When the device is connected, make sure the USB connection is set to "Transfer File"
When connecting the phone to the computer (if prompted) allow USB debugging and select (always allow).
- Select Add Phone
- Select Android and then connect the phone to the computer when prompted
The wizard on the right hand side will help guide you through the process and alert you to items that have not been completed, such as device drivers not installed, or debugging not turned on. This wizard will also guide you with instructions on what to do if certain criteria is not met.
Once the phone is selected you will see the phone listed in the Source selection box, select your destination and Backup name. Remember the destination as you will need this to scan your backup later. Select Image and the backup process will commence.
Once finished you may disconnect the phone and proceed with a scan at a later time by Selecting “Scan Devices and Images” and “Add Phone Backup”.
Digital Evidence Investigator PRO enables front line field investigators to investigate iOS, Android, and computer devices with one single digital forensic license. DEI PRO is easy-to-learn and easy-to-use.